INF information for Dell 1920x1200 15.4" widescreen display needed.

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu May 19 01:51:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 20:42 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:

> Copyright has taken on the traits of limiting creativity, usability,
> improvements and the like.

Copyright just protects the authors right to use their material how they
deem fit.  It in no way limits creativity.  Usability and improvements
may be hindered, not directly because of copyright, but because of other
restrictions placed on the materials.

I, as a developer of GPL software use copyright to demand that anyone
using my software adhere to the license I've imposed on it, in my case
the GPL (or LGPL).  Without copyright, anyone could just take my
software and use it any way they wished (including in proprietary
software) regardless of whether I approved or not.  If I wanted this to
be the case, then I could choose another license, but I like to think
that if others want to benefit from my work then they should, but only
if they will allow others to benefit from the work they have added to
mine.  But this is all license related, and has nothing to do with
copyright.

Don't blame copyright for limiting creativity - blame other factors -
like licenses - that are imposed on the product in question.

Rodd

 It's much better on my side"