upgrade to Fedora Core 4 Test 3 notes

James Bourne jbourne at hardrock.org
Thu May 19 06:32:17 UTC 2005

Here are my notes and findings upgrading my amd workstation to FC4T3 from
FC3.  Not a typical user, I use autofs to mount nfs from mappings stored in
LDAP, and use LDAP for authentication and user lookup (nss and pam).

If any of these are duplicates, have been resolved, or won't be looked at
let me know and I won't bother putting in bugzilla entries for them.
Otherwise I'll create new bugs for them in the next few days.  BTW, I think
the anaconda swap issue might cause a lot of upgrade headaches.

Regards
James
----------------------------
Upgrade from fc3:
Minor issues:
o gda-postgres problem (libpq.so.3), gda-postgres was still installed and
  required libpq.so.3 which yum update removes or which was removed with the
  install.
o wl-xemacs problem (apel-xemacs >= 10.5)
--  removed these, ran "yum update" again and the issues were resolved
o No mention of kernel-devel in the release notes for fc4

Major issues:
o During upgrade (anaconda) did not find SWAP-hda3 label that was added
  during fc3 install and did not enable swap until I reset the swap line to
  /dev/hda3 in fstab
o snmpd did not work, was not upgraded from net-snmp-5.2.1-10.FC3, bump
  version to fix.
o using nss_ldap failed hostname lookup for host in /etc/ldap.conf.  Had to
  change hostname and remove start_tls.  Problem is new feature of verifying
  the ssl hostname.  Need to work around that, but should not cause programs
  to segfault at any rate (ldap working or not).

James Bourne                  | Email:            jbourne at hardrock.org
UNIX Systems Administration   | WWW:           http://www.hardrock.org
Custom UNIX Programming       | Linux:  The choice of a GNU generation