GCC 4.xx FC4 rc3 x86_64

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Thu May 19 12:13:05 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 06:33:25AM -0500, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2005 12:41:50 +0200
> Arjan van de Ven <arjanv at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 12:38 +0200, Maurizio Paolini wrote:
> > > On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 04:21:16AM -0400, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> > >
> > > One of those applications is "kde"!
> >
> > odd.. we compile KDE all the time with gcc4
>
> Hello, Everyone
> Since I frequent the kde-devel and kde-user lists, in addition to
> compiling, on a very regular basis, KDE from CVS (now SVN) HEAD on
> Fedora Core 3, I do know a LITTLE about this issue.
> Below is a link to the CVS commit where KDE's blacklisting of GCC4
> seems to have started:
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cvs&m=111451142117674&w=2
>
> In a nutshell, the reasoning is this:
> > CVS commit by mueller:
> >
> > blacklist gcc 4.0.0. Its the first compiler we have to blacklist
> > because it miscompiles KDE.

Except that this bug is not present in FC4 gcc for a long time, nor
on gcc-4_0-branch.  See Red Hat bugzilla #154294 or upstream
PR regression/20973.  There was an unfortunate bug that was introduced
by a very late fix soon before GCC 4.0 was released and fixed soon
after it was released, so yes, vanilla GCC 4.0 miscompiles on some arches
some version of KDE (but AFAIK current KDE applied patches to work
around it (and at the same time improve code generation with GCC),
see http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdelibs/khtml/misc/khtmllayout.h?rev=405260&r1=259956&r2=405260&diff_format=u
), but FC4's GCC is ok.

	Jakub