Sonoma Centrino M70 (Dell Latitude D810, C610)

Raymond Lillard rlillard at sonic.net
Thu May 19 22:57:37 UTC 2005

Jon Escombe wrote:
> Raymond Lillard <rlillard <at> sonic.net> writes:
>>I have a D810 running a fully updated FC3.  All is well
>>except that the CD/DVD drive will not run with DMA.

I need to correct myself here.  I have fully updated my
machine with the latest stuff, but I cannot boot with
the latest "kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3".  The machine hangs
about midway into getting all the hardware up and going.

I have posted the details elsewhere and they can most
likely be found with Google.

I alternate between OpenBSD and Linux.  When I use linux
(FC3 actually) the latest kernel that boots is
"kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3".  This kernel thinks my
hard drive is "sda" (it is really PATA, not SATA) and
my CD/DVD drive is "hdc" and I cannot enable DMA to
the CD/DVD drive.

Unfortunately, the Dell BIOS doesn't provide a means to
disable the SATA hardware.  If it did, this problem
might go away.

Does your T43 use a PATA or SATA hard drive?

If PATA, can you disable the SATA interface in the BIOS?

I noticed a new FC3 kernel is about to come out, I hope
this problem has been fixed with it.

>>I haven't had the opportunity try FC4-test yet, but hope
>>this problem has been delt with.  Can anybody speak to
>>the status of support for this h/w WRT DMA?

> I have a similar Sonoma laptop (Thinkpad T43) running FC4-test.
>
> DVD writer is still using PIO, and S3 suspend doesn't resume correctly with the
> SATA drive (a proposed patch for this was recently posted on fa.linux.kernel)

I looked for it on Google and found discission of patches
but none which seemed to address my specific issue.  You
didn't happen to save the message or the patch did you?

I would really like to use the CD/DVD drive, I can wait
for the S3 suspend/resume feature.

Thanks,
Ray