Deleting Windows Xp. Pro . partition

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Fri May 20 23:40:08 UTC 2005

JERRY WHITMIRE wrote:

> Hi i would like to delete the partition that win xp pro is on . ntfs
> And use it for Fedora 4 test 3 .{ nondos /home }
> I have a 160gb hard drive that is setup with .
>
> partitions      status     type    volume label   mbytes   system
> usage
> 1                        a           ntfs      ---------------
> 76293     ---------        50%      windows
> 2                      ---       nondos   ---------------
> 102      ---------            %      boot
> 3                      ---       nondos   ---------------  76222
> ---------        50%     /home
> As you can see how it is setup. Can i do this without  having to
> reinstall
> Fedora 4 test 3, and updating it again. or can this be done?
> I know how to remove the windows xp. label in grub so it will not show.
> Could someone Pease help me with this ?

 From your description, I can't fugure out where you currently have
FC4T3, or do you have it?  I also don't see a swap partition.  At any
rate, on a FC4 install with manual partition, you should be able to
assign partition 1 to / and have it formatted with ext3 file system.
That is a LOT of disk space for the system, however, so it might be
better to split it up into several partitions.  A 10GB partition is
plenty for the system.  You should have a swap partition about 1 - 2x
the amount of RAM in your computer (this is a very nebulous spec.)  With
a few more pieces of information, someone might be able to give you
better recommendations.

Gerry