<4> post_create: setxatter failed

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sun May 22 06:25:01 UTC 2005

On Sunday 22 May 2005 04:58, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just tried to install Fedora Core 4T3, but it fails with:
> -------------------------------------
> There was an error installing cracklib-dicts-2.8.2-1.  This can
> indicate media failure, lack of disk space, and/or hardware problems.
> This is a fatal error and your install will be aborted.
> -------------------------------------
>
> I booted off the DVD with "linux jfs", so it would allow me to format
> the root partion with jfs.

There will be errors setting XATTRs when disk space runs out.  Setting an
XATTR to a value that hasn't previously been used or setting an instance of
an xattr name/value combination that is congruent to 0 mod 1024 will result
in allocating a new disk block and will fail if there is no free block.

Anaconda is supposed to calculate the space needed for installation and refuse
to install a combination of packages that will exceed the space.  Maybe
anaconda has the wrong idea about the amount of disk space required for JFS
meta-data and will allow you to install what it thinks is 99% space usage
which is really >100%.

> I told it not to install SELinux.

This is a bug then.  If you tell it not to install SE Linux then it shouldn't
set any xattrs.  Did you tell it via "selinux=0" or via the GUI in anaconda?