software(kernel)-based PCI memhole remap in FC4_test3

Tim Taranov ttaranov at gmail.com
Mon May 23 02:50:40 UTC 2005

here is the deal - I downloaded and installed fc4 test3 on my machine
(2x246 opterons, Tyan S2895 mobo, 4x1G ECC ram, nvidia 6600gt 16x
pci-express, SATA drive etc). Running the default kernel
...1286_FC4smp for x86_64 build.

If I enable software-based PCI mem hole remapping in my mobo's bios
then my workstation completely freezes after opening 1 or 2 web pages
in Firefox or any other bundled browser in KDE, Gnome (that the first
thing I noticed, there most likely are a bunch of other OS problems).
If this bios setting is set to disabled then no problems, however then
Linux does not see the full 4 gigs of my ram due to the PCI bus map
(linux does see the full 4gigs if I set the memhole remap to be
"software"-based). Anyone else is having the same issues with
software-based PCI memhole remap?