<4> post_create: setxatter failed

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Mon May 23 06:50:48 UTC 2005

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> "linux jfs" isn't documented afaik.
>
> The simple situation is that ext3 is basically all we really support and
> test, the rest may or may not work. Is there a reason you want to use JFS ?
> (ext3 in fc3/fc4 is pretty competative with any of the other filesystems on
> just about every workload performance wise... the benchmarks I've seen from
> others hardly ever put JFS on top for anything nowadays so JFS strikes me as
> a bit of an odd choice)

xfs and reiserfs are _huge_ wins over ext3 for news servers.

Any even for large ISP mailservers xfs and reiserfs are still huge wins
over ext3.

Also our 'totally corrupt filesystems' statistics are much higher on ext3
than reiserfs so given all the above we've stopped deploying ext3 in new
servers and only deploy reiserfs in new servers now.

A pity selinux doesnt work on reiserfs yet, but selinux has serious
growing pains atm so we will wait for selinux to stabilize before we worry
about that.

ext3 might be just dandy for desktops which I expect is the primary target
market for fc3/fc4 but reiserfs/xfs are much better for typical ISP
workloads.

-Dan