"GRUB" on boot after last night's rawhide updates

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue May 24 13:15:48 UTC 2005

On 5/24/05, Mary Ellen Foster <mefoster at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have no idea what happened, or how to track it down; did this happen
> to anyone else? If not, I'll just chalk it up to the phase of the moon
> or something.

that's very odd. I for one didn't see it, and I'm hardpressed to give
you a good idea of what could have caused grub from being able to see
its second stage without there being a change to your partitioning or
filesystem layout.  afaik editting grub.conf isn't enough to cause a
problem you saw, so i doubt the postinstall scripts from the kernel
update caused this. I'd be somewhat concerned about the health of that
disk.

Is this a raid configuration by chance?

If you really want to dig into it.. you could attempt to revert the
last round of updates you did yesterday, assuming you still have
cached old versions to revert back to. Then update one package at a
time (allowing for deps to be pulled in of course) between reboots.
See if you can re-create the problem.

-jef