Rolling Own Kernel

Kevin H. Hobbs kevin.hobbs.1 at ohiou.edu
Tue May 24 14:35:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 12:51 -0400, Ken Nordquist wrote:
> I wanted to make some changes in a kernel for a test but ran into some
> errors after 'make menuconfig'.  I have an x86_64 system.
>
> When running 'make' or 'make bzImage' I get the following error(s):
>
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `init/main.o', needed by
> `init/built-in.o'.  Stop.
> make: *** [init] Error 2
>
> Am I missing something easy?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ken Nordquist

I put up a web page about building a kernel from a kernel source rpm
here:

http://crab-lab.zool.ohiou.edu/kevin/kernel-compilation-tutorial-en/

It's very rough, but the advantage is that rpm handles most of the "Am I
missing something easy?" sorts of things.  Of course you have to learn
rpm a little and miss other easy things, but what the heck.