Firefox - why is it better?

Simon Lanzmich WormLineFiles at gmx.de
Tue May 24 20:11:17 UTC 2005

Hi,
this seems to be a little off-topic here, since this list is just meant
to discuss the test release - and firefox is not that new, but I don't
mind.

Am Dienstag, den 24.05.2005, 11:37 -0500 schrieb akonstam at trinity.edu:
> Again I am not trying to start a rant I just want to know.
>
> I find firefox somewhat inferior to the previous mozilla. Why do
> people support it so?

I haven't used the mozilla suite since it was 1.5 IIRC, but imho,
firefox feels a lot faster. Further, people may want just a browser, not
a complete suite, but this is my opinion.

> 1. The ctrl-l option is somewhat worse than the previous ctrl-shift-l
> option.
> 2. I would like my downloaded files to go in my home directory. So as
> root I want them to go into /root. That may be unreasonable to some
> people but it can't be done in firefox. The Desktop folder is the last
> place I want to put them.

You can select a folder in Preferences | Downloads | Save all files to
this folder | Other... (from the dropdown list)
Besides, I think it is a bad idea to use the root user to browse the web
or do other every-day actions.