Continuing Synaptic Touchpad issues

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed May 25 02:19:11 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 19:52 -0600, David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud)
wrote:

> No.  The system is an HP laptop (zv6015) that has no PS/2 port.
>
> I got the system up and running with a USB mouse and then discovered
> that I could get the Synaptics Touchpad working by compiling the kernel
> with psmouse as a module and automating the module load/unload in
> rc.local.  On a clean boot with say the stock 1319 kernel, the touchpad
> is dead but the same kernel recompiled with psmouse as a module works
> fine.
>
> I haven't tried the possible combinations and permutations of having/no
> having a USB mouse plugged in at boot.  Also, I see the same behavior
> with gpm before starting X.  The mouse is defined in /etc/X11/xorg.conf as:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
> EndSection

Dave,

Have you tried using the example given
in /usr/share/doc/synaptics-0.14.0/ on how to configure a Synaptics
mouse.

If this works (without the recompile) then the next trick would be to
get the installed to recognize that this is a Synaptics mouse and to use
a similar config fil by default.

Rodd

 It's much better on my side"