Funky X11 on Summer 2000 iMac

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed May 25 20:29:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 21:47 +1000, Colin Charles wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 22:19 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>
> > iMac kept rebooting during rawhide install - at random places but always
> > while downloading, doing a minimal install got it to install all the
> > way.
>
> Bad mirror? How did you perform the install, did you have a local
> mirror?

No - since I only have one ppc, I didn't see the point of making a local
mirror of rawhide ppc.
I suspect the rebooting was the result of connection problems, once I
had the minimal install downloaded successfully everything has been
peachy - no spontaneous reboots.

I have experienced one hard lock up while evolution was syncing a mail
directory with imap server, I don't know what caused it - I'm not going
to reboot in case it comes back (I've seen that happen with apparent
crashes before - even when machine stops responding to ping) though I
suspect it is dead and hopefully log message has something.

> What's hogging the CPU ?
>
> > It will eventually suddenly drop and I can move the mouse etc. but as
> > soon as I click something, anything, it gets bogged down again and the
> > usage of X in top skyrockets.
>
> Hmm, odd. I faced this issue a while back, and never had time to debug
> it, and it disappeared with the next rawhide release. Gah

It seems to have been dri in my case - I commented that out of the
xorg.conf and rebooted - and x came up just fine and gorgeous.