Evolution Crashes

Tom Duffy Thomas.Duffy.99 at alumni.brown.edu
Thu May 26 17:33:22 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 07:45 -0700, Tom Duffy wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 12:15 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> > Actually, I mean, what IMAP method are people using in Evolution.
> >
> > Evolution provides two ways to connect to IMAP servers:
> >
> > 	IMAP is the original implementation used in evolution
> > 	IMAPrev1 is (supposedly) a new improved version
> >
> > Check in Edit > Preferences > Mail Accounts > [your account] > Receiving
> > Email > Server Type and look at whether you're using IMAP or IMAPrev1.
>
> Shoot.  I just switched to the newer version and lost all my color
> coding, not to mention real threading, it seems.

In the end, this was a very *bad* idea.  Using the "new" IMAPrev1,
evolution would start to filter my email and then hang with a message
"Pinging IMAP server" and never recover.  I would pkill -9 evolution,
then retry only with the same consequences.  Back to using just plain
IMAP.

BTW, my IMAP server is:

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ NAMESPACE UIDPLUS
CHILDREN BINARY UNSELECT LANGUAGE XSENDER X-NETSCAPE XSERVERINFO
AUTH=PLAIN] bos-mail1 IMAP4 service (Sun Java(tm) System Messaging
Server 6.2 HotFix 0.05 (built Jan 10 2005))

-tduffy

--
I wish we lived in the America of yesteryear that only exists in the
minds of us Republicans.