[OT] Upgrading from RH73 to FC2

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Fri May 27 20:11:43 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 14:32 -0400, MW Mike Weiner (5028) wrote:
> This may sound like a silly question, but i feel compelled to ask it
> anyway. OK, i have *several* rh73 servers in my environment, that i need
> to migrate to fc2. OK, not a real major deal, but what i was thinking
> was to build an internal yum repo (for updates, etc) and also put the
> fc2 install base on this box so i can do nfs installs, etc. Now, here is
> where my silly thinking/question comes in. Is it possible to use this
> "repository" setup but also read in say an anaconda-kickstart file? I
> mean without really doing kickstart? And, if not, which i suspect is the
> answer, what is the best way to take this yum repo box and turn it into
> a Kickstart server so i can do remote upgrades? I would rather not have
> to manually do >400 servers via yum from rh73 to fc2...
>
> Any ideas would be graciously welcome.
> Michael Weiner

One other thing - the upgrade from RHL 7.3 to FC2 or above is probably
going to be dodgey - you are going from a 2.4 to a 2.6 kernel, glibc
2.2.5 to 2.3.5, Apache 1.3 to Apache 2.0, wu-ftpd to vsftpd, etc., etc.,
etc...

I would only attempt it if I were pretty much positive that all the 7.3
machines were identical and I could test it in a lab a *bunch* of times.

I did the internal white paper for a previous employer in regards to the
RHEL 2.1 (based on RH 7.2) to RHEL 3 (based on RH 9) upgrade path.
After lots of research and testing and consultation with Red Hat, the
determination was that the best path was to back up data and
configuration settings, wipe the drive and do a fresh install of RHEL 3
and restore data and configuration settings.

YMMV.

Thomas