Standard-Kernel doesn't compile on FC4T3

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat May 28 18:51:18 UTC 2005

> >> In file included from drivers/i2c/algos/i2c-algo-bit.c:31:
> >> include/linux/i2c.h:58: error: array type has incomplete element
> type
> >> include/linux/i2c.h:197: error: array type has incomplete element
> >> type
> >> It's very important that standard-kernel should compile on FC4....

If you read the kernel documentation, it specifies what versions of gcc
the kernel should compile with. gcc4 isn't specified as one of them.

If the standard kernel fails to be compile with the version of gcc they
specify - then there is a problem.

Been awhile since I compiled my own kernel, but when I did - I always
install the c compiler component of gcc 2.95.3 just for that purpose. I
don't know if that is still the specified compiler or not.

Fedora/Redhat typically (always??) uses the default C compiler, but they
also patch the kernel code.