FC4 test (x86_64) poor performance

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sun May 29 17:28:39 UTC 2005

Vlad wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've ran a series of tests on FC4 x86_64 and FC3 x86_64. Found that
>the performance is quite poor under FC4 (Athlon64 on nForce 4 Ultra).

I've had no performance problems with x86_64 installations, on any of
the chipsets I've tried.  In some cases, the speed has improved
dramatically.

>I've compiled apache+php and measured max requests per second (rps) of
>a simple php script (output of phpinfo(); php_info(INFO_MODULES)) with
>the apache's 'ab' application. The maximum RPS I managed for FC4 is
>440 while FC3 showed up to 730.

Perhaps you should try a different benchmark without recompiling
software.  Version or configuration differences could easily be causing
your problems.  Did you at least use the SRPMs?

>Network is not the issue cause I did
>measurement via lo0.
>
>It's the same server and I've ran yum update before tests in both
>cases. Any ideas?

Try other benchmarks and see if you can narrow down the problem a bit,
or determine if there even is a problem to begin with.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

www.n-man.com