Installation report 1 for beta 1

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 28 23:21:55 UTC 2005

Charles Curley wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 03:05:10PM +0800, John Summerfied wrote:

>>file, or to request information to fill in the information required to
>>complete
>>various on-screen forms. In this specific instance, where I am
>>testing/evaluating a new (beta) release, it would be convenient for me to
>>specify the source URI for the installation media, maybe
>>http://fedora.example.lan/beta1/i386/ - and, of course, timezone,
>>keyboard and
>>language choices.
>

> John, you can use the DHCP server in Fedora to serve up the location
> of a kickstart file. I do it routinely here. It involves adding a line
> or two to your DHCP config file. See the Red Hat 9 Customization Guide
> (http://www.redhat.net/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/pdf/rhl-cg-en-9.pdf).

I'd downloading the doc to see whether you're telling me something I
don't know - I normally do kickstart installs, using PXE or a modified
boot CD, but I particularly wanted to do a normal interactive install
this time.

It might be that ks actually does much what I want; I've never done an
interactive ks install.

I was thinking, maybe
  ... kbd=pc-us LANG=en_AU.UTF-8 TZ=Australia/Perth src=nfs://server/path

>>Now, the installation has died and there's a traceback. This brings me to
>>another gripe. I have a scrollable window of four lines. This
>>impossiblly small
>>(and persuaded me to not read the release notes). Someone needs to go to
>>usability school!
>

> Speaking of usability school, please do something about the hideous
> line wrapping of this email.

It's a mazing what Moz will do:-)

Helped with a little vim.

I created the report in vim. I thought I was doing it on my desktop,
where I've configured vim to wrap at 72. That would have been fine.
However, I was actually doing it on my (other) laptop where I've not
changed vim's defaults, and the text got wrapped at column 80.

Then, suspecting RH's mailing list software strips attachmends, I opened
the installations in kwrite so as to swipe and paste:-)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait