nVIDIA binary driver and FC5 test 1

alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed Nov 30 21:27:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 12:51:25PM -0800, alan wrote:
> > I figured that the testing list was the first place to ask since it is a
> > new version of X that is fairly specific to FC5t1.
>
> But Fedora people can't really help you, because they can't see what nVidia
> did that broke.

It is not what nVIDIA did that is the problem.  It is a change in the way
driver modules are loaded in X.

Drivers used to be located in /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/drivers.  They are
now (as of FC5t1) in /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers.  nVIDIA's installer
assumes the old location and puts the drivers there and not where X now
wants them.

> > Then I remembered why most of my friends stopped using the Fedora mailing
> > lists for answers.
>
> Yeah, because you get straightforward answers back from one of the actual
> kernel developers. Man, that sucks.

No, because the answers were not helpful and usually abusive.

--
#/sbin/fsck /dev/brain
Errors found. Cannot continue. Please run fsck manually without -A option.