rawhide report: 20051031 changes

Paul Dickson paul at permanentmail.com
Wed Nov 2 12:42:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 07:38:33 -0500, Build System wrote:

> kernel-2.6.14-1.1635_FC5
> ------------------------
> * Sun Oct 30 2005 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
> - 2.6.14-git2
>
> * Thu Oct 27 2005 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
> - 2.6.14
>
> * Thu Oct 27 2005 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
> - 2.6.14-rc5-git7

This kernel oopsed twice while under heavy swap load.  I was using the
console, so I only saw the last 25 lines of the oops.  The lower lines
referred to "swap" in the function names, there where several lines (5 to
8) referring to "cfq" in the upper middle section, and the topmost had
"ide" on the second or third line.  Both oopses happened roughly at the
same sequence, while yum was loading the fileslists for dependency
resolution.  The previous FC3 kernel said yum (2.2.2) was using 400m
under "VIRT", but I'm not sure that iteration got as far because it was
competing with X11 too for memory.

Prior to switching to this kernel, the one for FC3 ran several hours
under heavy swapping with no problems.   I moved to 1632 and the problem
hasn't reoccurred.  It's possible I just avoided the problem with 1632 by
reducing the swap load:  I was trying to update yum using yum.  I reduced
the swapping by removing the FC3 respositories from yum's lists.  I was
updating an old Inspiron 7000 notebook (300MHz P2 with 256 MB RAM, PIIX4)
from FC3 to Rawhide.

	-Paul