Why are you using rawhide (Re: Broken deps in rawhide reports; Participate in improving docs)

Horst von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Sun Nov 6 02:46:55 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> wrote:
> >The real question is..... what are people reading when they are making
> >the decision to eat rawhide.. and can we get the daily reports tied in
> >to those locations.

> Good question. Perhaps people using rawhide can let the list know
> these details. Quick survey for those interested.
>
> * Where did you learn about the existance of rawhide from?

Don't remember. I assume it was from a test release of Fedora, or even Red
Hat.

> * How did you get started on using it?

I needed an environment for development kernels (way back, when even and
odd meant something ;-) without having to futz around too much.

> * What motivates use to use it?

- Help out shaking out bugs
- Play with newer versions of software
- We have Fedora installed in computer labs, and it is useful to know what
  is comming down the pipe)

Even though it is advertised as making fun of you in front of your friends,
it has been reasonably stable for me. Sure, there is ocasional breakage,
broken dependencies, the works; but by now I know my way around and can fix
it mostly without breaking a sweat. Not what I'd recommend to a green
newbie, but OK for non-critical use any day.