Fontconfig troubles...

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Sun Nov 6 06:47:21 UTC 2005

So... I upgraded to rawhide today, to be greeted by:
- gdm, gnome, kde, kdm, windomaker, rhgb... not working, and failing
with the most uninformative messages...

I eventually managed to get into a twm shell somehow (through xdm), and
established gnome programs segfault in libfontconfig: FcCreateStrList
(or maybe it was FcStrListCreate).

However, after rebuilding the package from source rpm, all problems are
gone. Why?

-----

Also, that reminds me once again how hard it is to recover from
rawhide.  Why can't old versions of rpms be kept on the download server,
to aid users in the case of a critical failure?