Yum update Error - HELP

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Nov 7 17:14:58 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 11:02:36AM -0200, Clovis Tristao wrote:

> I am trying to bring uptodate FC 4(2.6.13-1.1627_FC5) using yum update,
                            ^^^^^^^
> Error: Missing Dependency: XFree86-devel is needed by package SDL-devel

This error would indicate that, contrary to what you are saying,
you are not trying to update FC4 but you attempt to replace it with
rawhide.  Two different things.

If this is the later you really want to do then a quick scan through
recent posting in this list archive, and also a peek into "rawhide
reports" where this broken dependency is explicitely listed, would
explain what you are seeing.

Saying that to get me from such tight spots I am using from time to
time a 'fake' rpm package which I am putting together myself.  This
package has no files in it but in specs has entries like:
Provides: XFree86-devel

Once in a while I am doing 'yum remove fake' and if some
dependencies are still not satisfied I will be informed of that in
no uncertain terms.  OTOH with such tricks you better know what you
are doing and what consequences may be; so if you have to ask in
details how to do such thing you better stay clear of it. :-) In the
particular case of 'SDL-devel' you can just do 'yum remove SDL-devel'
and follow with the rest afterwards.  This removal will not imply
that you have to delete half of your system or seriously affect
functioning.

   Michal