Anyone have an example of a working usb storage device with rawhide as of nov 12th?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 22:56:38 UTC 2005

My rawhide box is rawhide synced as of today running
kernel-smp-2.6.14-1.1663_FC5
udev-075-1
hal-0.5.4.cvs20051111-1

and I'm not able to get a single one of my usb storage devices to be
correctly recognized.
compact flash card reader, ipod g4, usb flashdrive, usb harddrive
enclosure.. none of them actually result in a /dev/sdX listing being
produced

All these devices work on an fc4 box with the latest fc4 kernel update.
These were working on rawhide within the last month, I can't give you
an exact date when they stopped working.

here's na example of what happens when i power up the usb harddrive
enclosure on the rawhide box:

/sbin/lsusb  shows:
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 04b4:6830 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. USB-2.0 IDE Adapter

but I don't get a /dev/sda1 as I expect

/var/log/messages gets this when the device is plugged in:
Nov 12 17:49:13 goober kernel: usb 1-2: new high speed USB device
using ehci_hcd and address 6
Nov 12 17:49:13 goober kernel: HFC-S USB: probing interface(0)
actalt(0) minor(0)
Nov 12 17:49:13 goober kernel: HFC-S USB: no valid vendor found in USB
descriptor
Nov 12 17:49:13 goober kernel: hfc_usb: probe of 1-2:1.0 failed with error -5

I dont know how to interpret the "no valid vendor found" error but I
get it for all the devices that I try to use.... and this isnt limited
to just ehci_hcd
 same sort of thing happens for the low speed usb ports on this box as well.

Anyone else have any usb-storage devices working at the moment on a
rawhide box synced as of today?

-jef