"no valid vendor found in USB"

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 21:11:42 UTC 2005

On 11/13/05, Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
> OK, then I will file this one.  I am not sure yet but it seems
> that hfc_usb kernel module may be the culprit.  I still have some
> tests to do.

i do not understand why hfc_usb kernel module is getting loaded at all
for usb-storage devices.

hfc_usb  and hisax modules are related to isdn i believe.... niether
of these modules should be loading when a usb-storage device is
plugged in... and yet they are.

in constrast  my fc4 system using 2.6.14-1.1637_FC4  works as
expected.. neither hisax nor hfc_usb modules are loaded when these
devices are plugged in.

it seems to me that whatever magic controls usb module loading on
device insertion is totally borked in rawhide.. and it always wants to
load hisax and hfc_usb no matter what the device actualyl is.  When
hfc_usb loads it produces the correct error about vendor not being
supported.. because well... the hfc_usb modules knows what devices its
suppose to be interacting with and correctly complains about not
having a device it understands.

The underlying question here is WHY is hfc_usb and hisax modules being
loaded when they clearly should not be.

-jef