"no valid vendor found in USB"

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sun Nov 13 21:36:20 UTC 2005

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 04:11:42PM -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 11/13/05, Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
> > OK, then I will file this one.  I am not sure yet but it seems
> > that hfc_usb kernel module may be the culprit.  I still have some
> > tests to do.
>
> i do not understand why hfc_usb kernel module is getting loaded at all
> for usb-storage devices.

I do not understand that either but it does get loaded, although
AFAICS nobody asked for it, and it is causing trouble.

I just run a series of tests using the same configuration but
2.6.14-1.1644_FC5 for my kernel. There all my attempts to cause USB mounts
were succesfull and, after recent updates, even all relevant icons
on a desktop did show up - which was not the case for a long while.
Doing the same with 2.6.14-1.1663_FC5 spells trouble.

> The underlying question here is WHY is hfc_usb and hisax modules being
> loaded when they clearly should not be.

I agree.  OTOH I am not sure what would happen if you would really
need that module.

Actually after 'modprobe -r hfc_usb hisax' plugging a USB device
while running 2.6.14-1.1663_FC5 gets it mounted again.  Once;
because hfc_usb and hisax show up unasked and will cause trouble
on the next try.

Confirmation of these finding would be nice.

   Michal