Anyone have an example of a working usb storage device with rawhide as of nov 12th?

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Mon Nov 14 20:21:01 UTC 2005

Willem Riede wrote:
> On 11/12/2005 05:56:38 PM, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>> My rawhide box is rawhide synced as of today running
>> kernel-smp-2.6.14-1.1663_FC5
>> udev-075-1
>> hal-0.5.4.cvs20051111-1
>>
>> and I'm not able to get a single one of my usb storage devices to be
>> correctly recognized.
>> compact flash card reader, ipod g4, usb flashdrive, usb harddrive
>> enclosure.. none of them actually result in a /dev/sdX listing being
>> produced
>>
>> All these devices work on an fc4 box with the latest fc4 kernel update.
>> These were working on rawhide within the last month, I can't give you
>> an exact date when they stopped working.
>>

>> here's na example of what happens when i power up the usb harddrive
>> enclosure on the rawhide box:
>>
>> /sbin/lsusb  shows:
>> Bus 001 Device 006: ID 04b4:6830 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. USB-2.0 IDE
>> Adapter
>>
>> but I don't get a /dev/sda1 as I expect
>>
>> /var/log/messages gets this when the device is plugged in:
>> Nov 12 17:49:13 goober kernel: usb 1-2: new high speed USB device
>> using ehci_hcd and address 6
>> Nov 12 17:49:13 goober kernel: HFC-S USB: probing interface(0)
>> actalt(0) minor(0)
>> Nov 12 17:49:13 goober kernel: HFC-S USB: no valid vendor found in USB
>> descriptor
>> Nov 12 17:49:13 goober kernel: hfc_usb: probe of 1-2:1.0 failed with
>> error
>> -5
>
> I experience the same problem with my Sandisk USB stick. The "no valid
> vendor" message is suspect, as with lsusb -v I can see it knows very
> well what the vendor id+name are.
>
> Interestingly, I have a USB connected tape drive that also claims to
> be of mass storage class and it works fine.
>
> Go figure. Willem Riede.
>
> --fedora-test-list mailing list
> fedora-test-list at redhat.com
I noticed this morning, after rebooting my system, that my Sandisk USB
had showed up on the desktop.

hal-device-manager shows:

    nForce3 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
       EHCI HOST Controller
          Cruzer Mini
             USB Mass Storage Interface
                SCSI Host Adapter
                   SCSI Device
                      STORAGE Device
                         Volume (vfat)

If I remove the device and re-insert it later, the device does not show
up on my desktop
and the tree stops at:
    USB Mass Storage Interface

So something is going wrong at the step of creating the SCSI Host
Adapter.  The hal details of
the "USB Mass Storage Interface" were identical.

Is the a bugzilla already open on this problem that you would like me to
add this too?

John