Updating to Rawhide

Bob Chiodini robert.chiodini-1 at ksc.nasa.gov
Wed Nov 16 13:19:20 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 06:44 -0600, Robin Holt wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 02:54:31PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Enable fedora-devel and extras-devel repository and disable the rest and
> > run yum update. Post the output of that to the list if you need help.
> > You might workaround dependencies by installing a minimal number of
> > packages or ignore some of the packages in the update by using the
> > exclude option in yum. man yum and yum.conf for details.
>
> You probably have to remove some of your older kernels from FC4 as well.
> If your existing kernel is 2.6.13 something or later, then do an
> rpm -qa | grep kernel
>
> Any kernels which are not 2.6.13 or later, rpm -ev the package name
> (including -devel).
>
> Otherwise, I got things to upgrade fairly smoothly.
>
> Good Luck,
> Robin

How timely.  I'm going thru this right now and have been for the past
two days.  In addition to the others' responses, so far this is what I
did:

        Clean "everything" install of FC4 from CDs.

        Download the latest development kernel, kernel-devel,
        initscripts, kudzu, kudzu-devel, hwdata.

        --nodeps install of the downloaded packages.  You may only need
        the new kernel, try that first.  That might avoid the libc
        problems below.

        Reboot to the new kernel, you'll get errors from kudzu, etc.
        about libc.  You will also need to manually set up networking
        (ifconfig, route).

        Remove the original kernel (yum remove kernel-2.6.11*, I think).
        This fixes the kudzu conflict with the < 2.6.13 kernel.

        Turn off gpgcheck in /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-devel.repo.  For
        some reason gnome-panel is not signed.

        Memory get a little foggy here:

        These packages caused ssh/ssl grief and were not necessary for
        me:

        yum remove Canna* iiimf* ppp* w3c* hpoj perl-RPM2

        yum --exclude dlm-* --exclude=cman-kernel --exclude=lvm2-cluster
        --exclude=gulm* --exclude=magma*  upgrade

This is where I am now.  At last count there were over 1200 packages to
be upgraded.

Bob...