package-cleanup --orphans ??

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 18:13:00 UTC 2005

On 11/16/05, Justin Conover <justin.conover at gmail.com> wrote:
> --orphans            List installed packages which are not available from
>                         currenly configured repositories.
>

>  Are these packages that should be removed or what is the deal with this
> option? --problems gives me no errors but I was curious what the point of
> orphans is and what you should do with the info?

Should they be removed? Its up tp you.

"orphans" is a version specific accounting comparing your installed
set of packages to the specific versions available on the "specific"
repos contacted. Why you see what you see has to be set in the context
of exactly which repository mirrors that were contacted when you ran
package-cleanup --orphans.  The problems with mirror syncing can
certaintly cause some unexpected listing.  Before acting on the
information in the list, you should double check against the master
server of the repository that the package is from to make sure the
package version really isn't available anymore.

For example tar-1.15.1-11.FC4.x86_64  exists in the updates-release
repo. But if you happened to contact an out of sync mirror as part of
the package-cleanup execution that doesnt have that Nov 7th update..
it will be reported as orphaned.  You have to watch out for mirror
hiccups like that.

-jef