Updating to Rawhide

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 16:36:15 UTC 2005

On 11/16/05, David Malcolm <dmalcolm at redhat.com> wrote:
> Are you running into problems where Evince isn't good enough as a
> replacement for these?  Please file bug reports upstream
> (bugzilla.gnome.org for the Evince UI), and at freedesktop.org for the
> underlying "poppler" pdf rendering library

I'm actually very confused about the state of dvi support in evince
in fc4 evince the changelog would suggest that dvi support is actually available
<quote /usr/share/doc/evince-0.4.0/ChangeLog>
2005-08-26  Nickolay V. Shmyrev  <nshmyrev at yandex.ru>

        * djvu/djvu-document.c: (djvu_document_thumbnails_get_thumbnail):
        * dvi/Makefile.am:
        * dvi/dvi-document.c: (dvi_document_thumbnails_get_thumbnail):
        * dvi/mdvi-lib/Makefile.am:

        Fix rotation of thumbnails, ported to new API. Moved library
        dependencies earlier, probably it will fix linkage problem.
</quote>
and the upstream bugzilla has active bugtickets about dvi support.

But in fc4... evince refuses to look at dvi files reporting:
Unhandled MIME type: 'application/x-dvi'

So I'm really confused. Is evince in fc4 suppose to read dvi or not?
Is this just a problem with poor  fedora specifc packaging of evince
that is failing to register evince as a handler for application/x-dvi?

-jef