Services enabled by default

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Fri Nov 18 19:26:29 UTC 2005

Hi

There has been several services enabled by default in Fedora on the
basic assumption that whoever doesnt need it can disable it by default
while in many cases users who need it may not be aware of the
requirements. Many services that are enabled by that are being done so
for really non obvious reasons and has been the source of complaints. We
should be documenting the rationale for each and every services thats
being enabled for the different classes of installation. So here is what
we need to work out, which of the services are enabled by default for
the following installation options

* Personal Desktop
* Workstation
* Server
* Custom

If you are doing a new installation, development or one of the test
releases, check this out and post to the list. If you dont see a good
reason why a service needs to be enabled by default, question that. If
we decide its not useful for the usual scenarios, file bug reports
against the specific components in http://bugzilla.redhat.com to disable
them and post the bug numbers to the list.

All of the discussion will be kept track in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DefaultServices

regards
Rahul