starting X

Paul Dickson paul at permanentmail.com
Sat Nov 19 22:42:56 UTC 2005

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:35:55 +0000, Bill Crawford wrote:

> Paul Dickson wrote:
> > So far, I can't get gdm to start any sessions (Gnome or KDE) for my user
> > account except the failsafe terminal.  Gdm will, however, start root's
> > account.  Root gets a warning "Error activating XKB configuration."
> >
>  Delete all <!-- ... --> comments from /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.xml
> ... libxklavier can't handle them.

Made no difference.

Another item of note:  When I log into my user account from the console,
I get the following error messages:

	Keymap 0: Permission denied
	Keymap 1: Permission denied
	Keymap 2: Permission denied
	KDSKBENT: Operation not permitted
	loadkeys: could not deallocate keymap 3

I don't see these logging in as root.  Of course, it HAS permission. :-)

	-Paul