Availability FC5 - Test 1

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Nov 22 18:57:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 10:01 -0500, Will H. Backman wrote:
> Within Redhat I started with control-panel and glint.
> I have progressed through gnome-rpm, gnome-linuxconf, and Update Agent.
> Now I have yum and the system-config-* tools.
> Am I now looking at something called Pup?
>
> I think the tools are getting better all the time, but I think the name
> changes hurt the manageability.

Would you rather the name stayed the same but not one bit of the old
code be used?  None of the old options used, none of the old
documentation relevant, etc etc...?

Pup is new software.  Needs a new name.  up2date still exists in RHEL,
and won't be replaced.  How confusing would it be to have an up2date in
Fedora that is completely different from the up2date in RHEL?

Progress means new thinking, new applications, and new names.  These are
mentioned in release notes, package lists, mailing lists, blogs, etc...

Was I helpful?  Let others know: