Enabling ATAPI libata in Fedora kernels?

Paul Dickson paul at permanentmail.com
Wed Nov 23 13:21:50 UTC 2005

I currently using the 2.6.14-1.1696_FC5 kernel on my notebook.  My hard
drive is on /dev/sda and lspci says:

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller (rev 03)

Currently, my DVD/CD-RW drive appears as /dev/hdc.  It has no DMA
support.  Thus, if I use xine to play a DVD with the processor running
full out (1.6GHz), it jumps and studders much worse than my 6 year old
notebook (300MHz, PII).

Can I make the ata_piix module do this?  Do I need to put these options
in the initial RAM disk? How?

	-Paul