Increasing boot speeds and early-login for fc5?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Wed Nov 23 20:16:59 UTC 2005

simple Man wrote:

>  Good day,
>
> During FC4 development there were plans to include early-login feature
> and improving boot times.
>
> Although, FC4 included early-login (disabled by default) I haven't
> seen much improvement in boot speeds.

There were significant gains in bootup speed when some fixes were made
after charting out the boot speed using http://bootchart.sf.net which
was specifically designed for that task.

> Does FC5 have this enabled? Anyone notice any improvement in boot
> speed? I haven't had a chance to test FC5-test1 yet,

No. It has stalled for now. If you want to keep track of this,  register
and add yourself to the CC list to this tracker report
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/151952

Regular bootchart reports from testers during the development releases
would be quite useful to make sure there arent any regressions.

Initng is currently being reviewed for inclusion in Fedora Extras
repository. One of the advantages happens to quicker bootup. Also
software suspend aka hibernation is enabled in current development
version and in FC5 test 1 releases. Check this out and provide feedback

regards
Rahul