FC5t1 report - ultimately a failure on work1

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Fri Nov 25 05:08:58 UTC 2005

I wasn't expecting anaconda to come up and install correctly on work1;
but I was gladly suprized when it handled the Trident Cyberblade/i1
correctly and went through the install without a glitch.

The install from CD media proceeded (slowly) and everything went
according to plan, it post-configured, installed grub and went to the
reboot screen.

Crossing my fingers, I removed all the CDs and clicked the mouse.

BIOS....Grub...LVM....udev....initializing hardware....(damn!)
before printing "storage " the screen glitches and the machine freezes
up completely.

Something in udev 075-2 just does *not* like my machine.

work1:  MSI mobo with Trident AGP video onboard
	RTL ethernet onboard
	AC97 audio onboard
	VIA chipset onboard - PCI etc.
	Maxtor IDE harddrive (6 GB)
	DVD ROM
	CD-RW drive (all detected correctly)
	256 MB PC100 RAM
	Pionex DDE monitor
	(rather vanilla system)

The suspect is the VIA chipset and the udev interacting somehow.
Too tired to prod the thing tonight, rescue mode and tring an alternate
video card tomorrow.

Hope y'all had a happy turkey day!

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury     `- -'