yum broken dep default behaviour

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 10:38:15 UTC 2005

2005/11/25, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com>:
> Rudolf Kastl wrote:
>
> >Hello List,
> >
> >Actually i looked a bit deeper into yum when i had time yesterdays.
> >And since i identified some broken dep chains on my test system which
> >yum just quietly accepted i decided to write this email to the test
> >list regarding default yum behaviour.
> >
> >Actually i personally dont like this default behaviour at all. Even if
> >yum is meant to be fault tolerant to not block necassery security
> >update on a "broken system" there should atleast warnings be
> >outputted.
> >
> Do you have any logs to reproduce this problem?. Have you filed any bug
> reports?. Its hard to discuss any potential issues without details.
>
> regards
> Rahul
>
> --

i didnt yet file any report on the issue because i wanted to discuss
it first. maybe its intended to work like that. i will give you an
example:

1. first we explicitly remove some package
rpm -e --nodeps gnome-desktop

2. we use yum update
yum update

3. we watch the broken dep chain to be ignored.

of course one can argument that i broke the system on purpose and that
i really explicitly got rid of the package with ignoring the dep chain
but...
in my eyes actually if i wouldnt wanna have that package id use
--exclude rather and even if thats desired behaviour in my eyes the
user should still be warned about the broken dep chains.

What do you think about this case? I will file it as "feature request"
if people agree that atleast spitting out warnings at the end of the
updating output (to be really recognized by the user) by default.

Well actually i dont know if yum really checks only the partial tree.
Apt with rpm support would in this case find the issue and report it
to the actual user.

regards,
Rudolf Kastl