FC5T1 and Nvidia Driver

Sander Hoentjen tjikkun at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 25 13:14:11 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 12:35 +0000, Matt Carter wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Now that I have a "Working" FC5 install I decided to start with adding
> the Nvidia Driver to my Kernel, no problems I thought.
>
> Downloaded and started doing the install as normal from console, said
> it required the GCC stuff and the Kernel Devel, installed those.
> Nvidia installed, great I thought, started editing my Xorg.conf so
> that my Geforce Go 6200 TC would be able to use the driver. Changed
> driver to "nvidia" as per normal, rebooted and no xserver. So I tried
> again and added the extra specifics for my laptop such as the
> Modeline. Happened again so this time I put in "nv" instead of "nvidia
> and it worked?

I think the preferred way of installing the nvidia driver is with the
packages provided by either livna or atrpms (maybe some others)

> Not sure what is going on as X wouldnt output a detailed problem.
My guess would be that it is because modular X changed file locations.
read more on the nvidia forum, since the driver is closed source and
supported by them
maybe this helps: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60446