Up2date replacement

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Fri Nov 25 22:08:50 UTC 2005

Don Springall wrote:

> Since the Up2date icon has disappeared off the desktop I assume Fedora
> is going with some other standard way of doing updates.

Yes. Pup along with various other enhancements not implemented yet.

> I  currently find that updating in fedora is a hit and miss
> proposition and I do not trust any of them. I ran yumex this morning
> and it reports nothing to update. The same with pup. I run up2date and
> it finds updates. Obliviously yumex and pup decided to use some not
> uptodate mirror. I am starting to believe that YUMEX uses some random
> number generator to pick which mirror it uses. At least with Up2date
> it tells you what channel it is starting with.

Yum connects to a random mirror too and lists the mirror name.
fastestmirror plugins in yum-utils as part of Fedora Extras might help.
Not sure about yumex. If it doesnt do that file a enhancement request on
it.

> Does pup and YUMEX use --obsoletes by default ? Who knows !

Yes it does.

> Up2date lets you decide to install the updates or not after everything
> is downloaded so you can do that later if you have run out of time

Look at  yumdownloader in yum-utils.

> Microsoft updates do break you box sometimes but not more often than
> "rawhide" updates.

Apples and oranges. Microsoft does not provide daily updates of its
development branch.

> This is one area that I think REDHAT should spend a lot more
> development dollars on. It would also help if there were more groups
> for "group update"  ie one for Gnome, KDE,  Openoffice and Eclipse etc
> if yum and yumex are the direction things are going.

Try yumgrouplist and yumgroupinstall. See the man page and
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/yum for details. system-config-packages is
planned to get a yum backend too. Anaconda already has one now.

> Please take PUP out back and beat it to death with a big stick. BAD DOG !

Nah. Just be patient for a while till it gets more functionality during
this development cycle and file more feature requests in
http://bugzilla.redhat.com.

regards
Rahul