Mkinitrd 5.0.11 and .12 problems with raid and LVM

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Sun Nov 27 15:21:26 UTC 2005

I am wondering if anyone else is seeing the problem I am experiencing.

Layout:  software raid 5 pvs, root partition is a LV in a VG on the raid
5.  Boot is a standard type 83 linux partition.  The raid devices were
setup as /dev/md0, /dev/md1, etc.

No problems installing FC5T1 (or FC4 or other distros on this setup).
Problems began when mkinitrd was updated to 5.0.11 in development.
During boot the raid arrays are detected, but they are named md_d0, etc,
vice md0, etc., and consequently the VGs cannot be found.  Falling back
to mkinitrd-5.0.10 from the FC5T1 CDs, and recreating the initrd fixes
the problem.  The problem also exists in today's rawhide mkinitrd-5.0.12.

I have updated bug 169059, but maybe this should be a new bug?

--
Regards,

Old Fart