Mkinitrd 5.0.11 and .12 problems with raid and LVM

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Sun Nov 27 17:23:19 UTC 2005

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone else is seeing the problem I am experiencing.
>
> Layout:  software raid 5 pvs, root partition is a LV in a VG on the
> raid 5.  Boot is a standard type 83 linux partition.  The raid devices
> were setup as /dev/md0, /dev/md1, etc.
>
> No problems installing FC5T1 (or FC4 or other distros on this setup).
> Problems began when mkinitrd was updated to 5.0.11 in development.
> During boot the raid arrays are detected, but they are named md_d0,
> etc, vice md0, etc., and consequently the VGs cannot be found.
> Falling back to mkinitrd-5.0.10 from the FC5T1 CDs, and recreating the
> initrd fixes the problem.  The problem also exists in today's rawhide
> mkinitrd-5.0.12.
>
> I have updated bug 169059, but maybe this should be a new bug?

I'm getting kernel panics on two software raid systems.  Downgrading to
mkinitrd-5.0.10-1 as you suggested fixed one of them.
The other system is dead in the water.  Either the MB or my expensive
FX55 has died.   The failure happened immediately
after one of these kernel panics.  Needless to say I'm not a happy
camper at teh moment ;-(

I've cross referenced my bug reports #174263 and #169450 to your #169059.

John