FC5T1 and Nvidia Driver

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 08:44:42 UTC 2005

2005/11/25, Justin Conover <justin.conover at gmail.com>:

> On 11/25/05, Matt Carter <matt.carter85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Guys
> >
> > Now that I have a "Working" FC5 install I decided to start with adding
> > the Nvidia Driver to my Kernel, no problems I thought.
> >
> > Downloaded and started doing the install as normal from console, said
> > it required the GCC stuff and the Kernel Devel, installed those.
> > Nvidia installed, great I thought, started editing my Xorg.conf so
> > that my Geforce Go 6200 TC would be able to use the driver. Changed
> > driver to "nvidia" as per normal, rebooted and no xserver. So I tried
> > again and added the extra specifics for my laptop such as the
> > Modeline. Happened again so this time I put in "nv" instead of "nvidia
> > and it worked?
> >
> > Not sure what is going on as X wouldnt output a detailed problem.
> >
> > Matt
> >
> > --
> >

> Good luck getting help with a closed source driver on the rawhide list ;-)
>
> For what it's worth, I talked to a nvidia developer and they will have a new
> release "hopefully at the end of the month" that supports modular xorg.
>
> I've also see folks get it working with modular xorg in other distros so its
> possible, I just haven't had the time to try.
>
> --

driver works... just install locs have changed and there are some
other issues with the current rawhide state and modular X. if you got
X up at all symlinking like posted above works like a charm. yes
according to the nv forum the next version of the driver actually will
support modular X and a new driver upgrade has been announced since
ages anyways (it will be there soon).

regards,
Rudolf Kastl