4k Stacks

Don Springall don_springall at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 28 21:00:27 UTC 2005

>From: Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>
>To: For testers of Fedora Core development releases
><fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: 4k Stacks
>Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:41:59 -0500
>
>On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 01:31:34PM -0700, Don Springall wrote:
> > I have been reading and article (http://lwn.net/Articles/159934/) that
>is
> > advocating doing away with 4k stacks in the kernel in the 2.6.16
>release.
> > I currently rely on  the kernel Hacking option to use 8k stacks so my
> > stupid Linksys WPC54g wireless  card will work with a Linuxant version
>of
> > ndiswrapper. Is Redhat going in this direction as well ?
>
>Red Hat's gone that way for a long time.

You can currently download the kernel source , run xconfig to set 8 K stacks
and compile your own custom kernel. This article I think is talking about
dropping that option to use 8 K stacks. I wanted to know if Redhat will be
doing that. I am not against it, I just want to know how long I have to
decide what card I buy next that is going to be supported in the kernel long
term. There don't seem to be a lot of options. I don't see any DLINK,
LInksys, Netgear or Belkin wireless drivers listed in system-config-network.