Install only? and slocate

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 00:32:52 UTC 2005

On 11/28/05, Jim Cornette <fct-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
> I tried upgrading a computer which had three installations on it. (Two
> fedora, one another vendor) The installer did not give a prompt where
> you could choose to upgrade any of the existing installations.
> Therefore, I wiped the third party installation and reformatted the
> partitions where that istallation was. Is the upgrade facility in the
> installer gone or broken? (At least on the computer that I tried.)

Inability to update in test1 is cited in the annoucement email that went out.
which also refers people to:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FC5Test1CommonProblems

> I therefore referenced the release notes to find out if this was an
> intended behavior. I did not see any notes to this being the case.

Please understand that the release-notes are a living document with
the aim to encode the important information for the final release and
not ncessarily all the important information that a tester of the test
releases needs. It can't contain all the short-term problems with the
test releases. It's important to read the annoucement notice for test
releases as well, especially for last minute gotchas.

> I did notice a reference to slocate and it is not even installed.
> Running locate works though and no configuration was needed,

slocate was replaced by mlocate. The release-notes may need to be
re-worded a bit even though the instructions in that section are still
valid. File a bug against the release-notes.

-jef