FC5T1 on work1 - success at last

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Tue Nov 29 04:18:43 UTC 2005

I've managed to get FC1T1 installed on the "work1" machine!

It took the "vga=0x310" parameter on the command line to get GRUB to
boot properly.  The "nofb" did *not* help the problem in the least.

Udev is now rawhide of 2005-11-28 (75-4) and initializing takes a
reasonable length of time (not too long).

Problem Summary:
	Without the vga= parameter, grub would boot, and the system
would continue to the point of "initializing hardware".   The screen
would become garbage, and the system would freeze.

System config: MSI mobo with Celeron (Coppermine) CPU @ 500MHz
 512 MB RAM, Trident Cyberblade/i1 video (AGP), VIA Chipset, 6GB IDE
disk, zip drive (IDE), cd-rw, dvd-rom, onboard sound, etc....

I can even make it boot properly with the ATI Rage 128XL PCI card by
re-writing the xorg.conf file.

It still doesn't detect an ISA 3c509 PnP ethernet card. :-(
The BIOS sees it fine, but to config it I have to run
system-config-network and hand install eth1 as a 3c509. Kudzu doesn't
see the card at all apparently.

Report filed on 2005-11-28 23:18 EDT :-)

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury     `- -'
RHCT                   U