Install only? and slocate

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Nov 29 04:57:07 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 11/28/05, Jim Cornette <fct-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>I tried upgrading a computer which had three installations on it. (Two
>>fedora, one another vendor) The installer did not give a prompt where
>>you could choose to upgrade any of the existing installations.
>>Therefore, I wiped the third party installation and reformatted the
>>partitions where that istallation was. Is the upgrade facility in the
>>installer gone or broken? (At least on the computer that I tried.)
>

> Inability to update in test1 is cited in the annoucement email that went out.
> which also refers people to:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FC5Test1CommonProblems

I missed reading the reference to install only in the announcement message.

Thanks for the wiki link, I bookmarked this page for issue checks in the
future.

>>I therefore referenced the release notes to find out if this was an
>>intended behavior. I did not see any notes to this being the case.
>

> Please understand that the release-notes are a living document with
> the aim to encode the important information for the final release and
> not ncessarily all the important information that a tester of the test
> releases needs. It can't contain all the short-term problems with the
> test releases. It's important to read the annoucement notice for test
> releases as well, especially for last minute gotchas.

Since the ability to upgrade was not eliminated, except for test1, it
would not make sense to edit, then revert later changes for short term
problems. Thanks for writing to the gray matter.

>>I did notice a reference to slocate and it is not even installed.
>>Running locate works though and no configuration was needed,
>

> slocate was replaced by mlocate. The release-notes may need to be
> re-worded a bit even though the instructions in that section are still
> valid. File a bug against the release-notes.

The package list was from Sept 21st and slocate was updates and still
present at the time. I assumed the docs to be in sync with the test
cycle. I'll file a bug on this.

Regarding running the command locate <search term>, it found items
immediately after I entered parts of files that I wanted to locate. This
was of course a clean install and locate was ran shortly after
completing firstboot.

8.1. Package Changes

As of 21st September 2005

[108441] slocate-2.7-22 -> [118067] slocate-2.7-27

Updatedb.conf contains different information now.

  cat /etc/updatedb.conf
PRUNEFS = "auto afs iso9660 sfs udf"
PRUNEPATHS = "/afs /media /net /sfs /tmp /udev /var/spool/cups
/var/spool/squid /var/tmp"

The notes referenced the below:

7.1.4. Enabling the slocate Database

The database needed by the locate utility is no longer created by
default. Enable the database creation by setting DAILY_UPDATE to yes in
/etc/updatedb.conf if you want to use locate.

Thanks for the help and redirection.

Jim

--
Fundamentally, there may be no basis for anything.