Up2date replacement

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Nov 29 06:35:38 UTC 2005

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 07:57 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
>
>>Does that help choose my best FC mirror?
>

> Thats not what this particular thread of the discussion is concerned
> with.  This particular thread of the discussion is concerned with adding
> 3rd party repository information into the yum configuration in an easy
> to use method.

Oh. I thought Don started it, asking about a replacement for up2date.

Rahul expanded on the topic, talking about fastestmirror plugins in
yum-utils, and as I don't think fastest is best, I moved the discussion
to what the user might see as best (speed only being one consideration,
and probably the least importent).

Don's made mention of adding repositories, but so far as I've noticed,
hasn't said which repositories.

I've suggested a better way of of maintain a list of official mirrors
which might be all that Don had in mind.

So far as I can recall, Jesse, you're the only one who's introduced the
notion of third-party repositories, which I don't think is exactly what
Don or I have suggested.

Some have responded to your suggestion about dubious content, but I
really don't think that this thread is "This particular thread of the
discussion is concerned with adding 3rd party repository information
into the yum configuration in an easy to use method," except as a side
issue.

--

Cheers
John