SELinux in FC5

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Tue Nov 29 16:19:19 UTC 2005

Teak Billard wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Will the refpolicy be available alongside targeted and strict?
refpolicy refers to the source and the method of policy, not the type.
So currently we are using reference policy to build both targeted and
mls.  Strict will be coming as soon as we get all the policy packages
ported over.
We are now using one source package selinux-policy to build the noarch
packages selinux-policy-targeted, selinux-policy-mls and eventually
selinux-policy-strict.  So you will see the selinux-policy-*.src.rpm
files dissappearing.  We also no longer ship the selinux-policy-*-source
packages.  You will need to install the .src.rpm in order to work with
the sources.   You can now build your own policy customizations using
loadable modules without requiring the sources.  So you can build and
install a local.te file.  Audit2allow has the ability to create a proper
syntaxed loadable module.  Please make sure you study its output before
installing.
> And will refpolicy find itself in RHEL eventually?
Yes RHEL5
> I've been keeping tabs on this technology for a while and to me it
> seems to be one of the biggest improvements to OS security.   Could
> you give me an example where refpolicy outshines  the other two  main
> policies?

Loadable modules, is the key reason for going to reference policy.
There also has been a cleanup and review of the policy.