x86-64 rawhide update obnoxiousness

Bill Rugolsky Jr. brugolsky at telemetry-investments.com
Mon Oct 10 18:10:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 10:53:08AM -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> So...am I the only one who regularly runs into trouble trying to follow
> rawhide on x86-64?  Recent example: an update just failed with:
>
> 	Transaction Check Error:   file /usr/share/man/man5/ldap.conf.5.gz from install of openldap-2.2.28-2 conflicts with file from package openldap-2.2.26-1

Credit Red Hat's resistance to creating separate fine-grained sub-packages
for libs and docs.  This was merely annoying on x86.  On bi-arch machines
it is a !@#%^$ disaster.

One of PLD's many improvements upon the Red Hat distro from which is branched
is fine-grained packaging: http://www.pld.org.pl/  . Some of PLD's RPM enhancements
have found their way back into Red Hat / Fedora, but unfortunately not the
lib sub-package policy.

[For my part, I'll keep kvetching; the mean-time-to-adoption for my RFE's
 seems to be about 3-5 years, which, all in, is not so bad. :-p]

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky