x86-64 rawhide update obnoxiousness

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sun Oct 16 17:17:09 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 02:02:52PM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>
> >when you install/upgrade both the i386 and x86_64 packages
> >simultanously, rpm "swallows" file conflicts between multilib
> >packages.
>
> Aha. Thanks for explaining that.

> >Whether that's a sane thing to do is another question.
>
> It's dangerous / not sane IMHO.

I am curious how you would propose to resolve that taking into
account all existing packages and this detail that people making
original packages may be often unaware of the issue and even if they
are they may not have suitable installations for testing.  Multiply
that by 'extras', external repositories, and so on.  If you will get
strict here then resulting pains will surely far exceed your worst
current hiccups.

> The worst case I had was where some key arch-dependent glibc files
> got clobbered (FCtest days) - rescue CD time.

AFAICT dependencies are really "swallowed" during an installation if
files in question are the same - which is easy to test.  At least if
the whole concept is not buggy It appears that you were bitten by
something else or you run into some traps in testing but that what
testing is for.

There are obviously open problems in a multilib packages _removal_
but this is not exactly the same thing.

   Michal